After final yr’s controversy at Wijk aan Zee, the Tata Metal chess event at this time introduced new guidelines for the tiebreak. The most important change is that if greater than two gamers tie first, they are going to all play in a tiebreak.
You’ll be able to comply with the Tata Metal Chess Event video games right here: Masters | challengers. Chess.com is offering day by day commentary with particular digital camera footage From the enjoying corridor at Chess.com/TV, Twitch, or YouTube.
The tiebreak controversy of 2021 is an unlucky reminiscence of the organizing of the 83rd Tata Metal Chess Event within the time of pandemic. The top end result was that GM Jordan van Forrest received the event as he defeated his compatriot GM Anish Giri within the playoffs, whereas GM Alireza Firoza upset and aggravated the event.
One cause was that the tiebreak was performed whereas the French-Iranian grandmaster was nonetheless enjoying his final spherical of video games, just some meters away. Extra importantly, he was upset with the arbiters who steered that he and his rival GM Radoslav Wojtczyk moved to a different desk (to get additional away from the tiebreak) and shortly spoiled a profitable benefit. The lead moderator later revealed on Chess.com an in depth description of what precisely occurred.
Evidently, Turquoise was additionally not comfortable to listen to that if he had received his recreation with Wojtaszek and completed on the identical variety of factors as the 2 Dutch gamers, he wouldn’t have certified for the tiebreak anyway. Solely the top-two gamers certified on the idea of Sonnborn–Berger factors.
Quickly after the event, the Tata Metal Chess organizers expressed remorse and supplied additional clarification on how they dealt with the playoff state of affairs on that final day. The assertion comes after an avalanche of sharp reactions on boards and social media.
Organizers famous that the state of affairs “inadvertently upset Turquoise” and stated they’d “fastidiously take into account the implementation of the tiebreak to stop a state of affairs like this from taking place once more sooner or later”.
– Tata Metal Chess (@tataasteelchess, February 1, 2021
Right this moment the fruit of that concept was revealed. For starters, organizers need to “keep away from flying items” as seen in lots of Armageddon video games. Nonetheless, the largest change is that now all gamers who tie first will play in a tiebreak.
Along with what occurred final yr, the current controversy on the World Fast Championship in December might have performed a component right here as effectively, when none apart from GM Magnus Carlsen and GM Fabiano Caruana – each enjoying once more this yr at Wijk aan Zee – Missed the playoffs, ending on the identical variety of factors as winner GM Nodirbek Abdusatorov and runner-up GM Ian Nepomniachtchi.
Aside from permitting everybody to play tiebreak this time, listed here are the opposite notable factors from the brand new tiebreak guidelines:
- A single Armageddon recreation has doubtlessly been changed for a number of sudden-death video games. For instance, if two gamers tie for first, they are going to play the primary two 3+2 blitz video games, but when they draw 1–1, they are going to play a sudden dying recreation (alternate colours) till a decider is performed. ) will proceed to play.
- Apparently, the time controls for sudden-death play are two-and-a-half minutes for White and three minutes for Black with two-second increments per transfer. this distinction in time with out it being an Armageddon recreation There seems to be a novelty in chess.
- If three gamers tie for first, a round-robin event shall be performed. Within the case of one other three-way tie, one other singles round-robin is performed and this continues till there’s a single winner or two gamers in a tie for the primary. Within the latter case, they are going to play a two-match match as talked about above.
- If there are 4 gamers within the tiebreak, there shall be two semi-final matches adopted by a two-player closing as described above.
- If there are 5 or extra gamers within the tiebreak, a number of singles round-robin tournaments are performed till there’s a winner or tie between two, three or 4 gamers, when the above strategies for these conditions shall be used.
- Regardless of the consequence, the prize cash shall be divided equally amongst all gamers within the tiebreak, that means that the tiebreak is performed solely to find out the event winner. All different gamers (besides the winner) will share second place within the tiebreak.
- Tiebreak video games shall be performed in the principle event corridor if all video games in the principle event (each Masters and Challengers) part are over. In any other case, an alternate event room can be used, so arbiters would not have to interrupt gamers and ask them to maneuver.
Following the organizers’ assertion final yr, Turquoise commented in an internet stream: “The actual fact they understood they made an enormous mistake. I am glad they stated it could by no means occur. [again], Normally, it was an excellent event.”
Sadly, the organizers couldn’t come to an settlement with Turquoise for this version, that means we won’t see a conflict between the world champion and the sensational new world quantity two. Within the December problem of the Dutch Chess Federation journal, Tata Metal Chess Event Director Jeroen van den Berg shared some particulars concerning the negotiation course of:
Van den Berg stated, “I invited Firoza instantly after the final event, who’s assisted by his father to handle him, however I did not get a response, he’s very troublesome to succeed in.” “Then I talked to them each in Stavanger [during Norway Chess, in September – PD] And so they needed to reply after the FIDE Chess.com Grand Swiss. I stated I wanted to know proper at times, after which they advised me they had been nonetheless indignant and requested for a really excessive quantity, an quantity I could not afford.”
Chess.com has reached out to Turquoise’s father for a remark, however we’ve but to obtain a response.
Even with out Turquoise, the 84th version appears ahead to being a stellar discipline as soon as once more. Along with Carlson, Caruana, Giri and Van Forrest, we are going to see GM Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, Richard Rapport, Jan-Krzysztof Duda, Sergey Karjakin, Vidit Gujrathi, Daniil Dubov, Andrey Esipenko, Sam Shankland, Nils Grandelius and Pragnanandha R. Masters in motion.
Yow will discover all the knowledge right here: